Friday, August 23, 2013

Here, Beowolf.

I've always loved naming things - I was one of those kids - and I love a good, weird name.

Unfortunately, when I got my current cat, a moment of misguided charity and uncomfortable-ness made me decide to keep the name Rosie after an adult handicapped lady told me that she named her and then kissed the top of Rosie's head.

I regret this decision now.

That woman absolutely does not remember my cat and has probably named at least three more cats Rosie since then. I should have changed it to Jennyanydots when I had the chance. 

All personal regrets aside, one of my favorite things about working at the vet is hearing some of the crazy pet names. People who name their dogs Bella and Buddy seem so dull, although I do acknowledge that saying that makes me a huge hypocrite. Anyway, since I'm leaving my job soon to focus on school, I decided to indulge my curiosity and compile a list of the best of the best pet names and give them awards by category.
Enjoy.


Best Full Name
Second Place: Harvey Wallbanger (Canine)
First Place: Thadious Hoppington (Rabbit)


Best Food-Inspired Name
Second Place: (Tie) Kielbasa, Pork Fried Rice
First Place: Pou Pon (Feline)


Pets Named After Celebrities, In Order from Worst to Best
Charlie Sheen
Dale Earnhart
Bruce Lee
Bill Nye
Freddie Mercury

Best Names with the word "Fat" in them
Honorable Mentions: Fat Boy, Fat Head, and NINE pets named "Fatty"
Second Place: Fatapuss (See also "Best Puns")
First Place: Fat Bastard



Classiest
Honorable Mentions: Sinbad, Siegfried, Octavius
Third Place: Toulouse
Second Place: Hildegard
First Place: Alowycious



Best Descriptive Names*
Third Place: Fussy Butt
Second Place: Toe Licker
First Place: Tuna Breath
Honorable Mentions: Mustache Louie, One-Eyed Jack
*Fun fact, all winners in this category are cats.


Most Baffling
Third Place: Mr. Thumbs
Second Place: Oy
First Place: Pubert


Surprisingly Cute Names
Toggle
Segway
Velcro
Sequel
Jenga
Sandman
Malarkey


Best Puns
Third Place: My-Newt (Species said "Other," so I'm assuming it's an actual newt.)
Second Place: Catty Wompus
First Place: Spotnick


Worst Puns
Third Place: Maybullene (English Bulldog)
Second Place: Tie Deeogy (D.O.G.) and Shinopi (She No Pee)
First Place: Semper Fido
Honorable Mentions: Vincent Van Cat and Purrsilla.


Awesomest
The Wolfman
Snicklefritz
Beowolf
Avogadro
Megatron
Danger Kitty


Most Hilarious 
Mr. Noodle
Uncle Salty
Boobie
Spanky
Poop, Pooper, Poopie, 
Poopsie, and Poop Stain
Proud Mary
Spleen


Totally Inappropriate Names
Three-Way Tie: Osama, Hitler, and "Sexy Cat."


Animals with Best-Suited Names
Honorable Mentions: Hound named "Messerschmitt," Cornish Rex named "Nefertiti," and a French Bulldog named "Mavis."
Third Place: Doberman Pinscher named "Jebidiah"
Second Place: A dachshund named "Schnitzel"
First Place: (And I'm completely serious about this) A one-eyed basset hound named Whiskey Joe. (I've actually met Whiskey Joe, he looks like he just got back from snoozing on a front porch in the background of Fievel Goes West.)



Some fun statistics to wrap everything up:

- There are 11 orange cats named "Hobbes"
- 2 cats named "Crookshanks" and 1 actual rat named "Scabbers"
- 16 Cheechs, 1 Chong (I don't get it, either.)
- 5 Goobers and 8 Boogers


Moral of the story: It really doesn't matter what you name your pet, you're just going to end up calling it "dumbass" all the time anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment