Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Previously Mentioned Zebulon Pike Limerick

The vast amount of knowledge I have about Zebulon Pike is due to the fact that I was absent the day we picked explorers in 5th grade. Stupid Paige got Sally Ride and those two girls that were best friends picked Lewis and Clark aww, get it because Lewis and Clark were best friends, right? Ugh. I returned after what was one of maybe two entire days of school I missed that year to find myself standing alone amid the sea of Vespuccis, Ericsons, and Albuquerques. Just me, Zebulon Pike, and the cheese. If you happen to be interested at all in a dude who "discovered" a peak in the Rocky Mountains that he saw from a distance and never actually climbed, shortly before meeting his untimely death due to a magazine explosion, (that was also, coincidentally, the year I learned that "magazine" has two meanings) then enjoy this limerick about the illustrious Pike and imagine a ten-year-old girl wearing a beard made out of brown construction paper and Scotch tape reciting it.

An explorer once set out to seek 
A glimpse of the mountain range bleak 
But Zebulon Pike 
Preferred not to hike 
He just pointed and said, "That's Pike's Peak."

G. S.

No comments:

Post a Comment